I have had a number of people ask about Honey, our dog. She is here and is doing fine. She left Hinckley after we did and of course arrived in Dubai after us. We worked with a company called AARK International. Their only job is to prepare and transport animals.
We were given a list of dogs that are not allowed into Dubai. If your pet fits the description, forget having your pet with you. Then we were given a list of procedures that a vet had to perform and document. We gave the list and a copy of Jim’s passport to AARK and they obtained the passport and other government documents that Honey needed to leave one country and enter another. When all of the paperwork was in order, we were told what would happen to Honey and how her travel plans would work. A travel kennel was dropped off for her to get acquainted with, and her itinerary. AARK picked her up on her travel day, transported her to the airport and put her in the plane. She stopped over in Amsterdam for a walk and food. When she arrived in Dubai, she had to pass customs and a vet inspection. She did not have to be kenneled or quarantined before delivery. We received a phone call letting us know that she had arrived and had to go through inspections. Around 3am. We received a phone call from the Dubai Kennel confirming that we were home and ready to receive her. I turned on the front door light, opened the door to make sure it was on and saw a small tan lizard on the fence wall near the gate.
About 30 minutes later a man knocked on the door to make sure we were prepared for Honey. When I opened the door to speak with the man, the lizard ran in the front door and disappeared into the villa. Honey was then brought to the door with a packet of information on pet care in Dubai. She looked good and was very happy to see us. As you can imagine I was quite distressed about a lizard in the villa; it is not our villa and here I am letting wild critters in. Jim said, “Don’t worry. It doesn’t eat much.” Of course Jim saw this wall-walking lizard later in the week. He gently caught the plastic, transparent looking critter and put him outside. They have such an unique color that it seems as if it is possible to see the insides. Sorry about diversation. But, it does help to make for a good story, and it is the truth. Back to Honey: I was concerned about fleas, ticks, mites, etc. because back home they can be brutal during the warm months, and tough to get rid of once in the house. We had stopped off to ask a vet about treatment. He said that the only real problem they have here are the grass mites. I was not convinced. So, Jim bought some “Frontline” to apply. Honey has had some itchy moments and red blotches, but we spray her with moisturizer and keep her clean. She has developed a limp and so for now she gets a baby aspirin and an egg in her dog food each morning.
I have also had numerous questions about the holidays and festivals here. I am learning a lot, but I am no expert. I bought a book on Arab history and have been reading and taking notes. I have been reading a few other books also. So, with that said, remember that different people give different information. I will give you what I have been able to piece together.
The Muslim calendar started with a trip taken by their prophet Muhammad. It is not like the Christian calendar based on the birth of Jesus. It is also based on a lunar year? We use a solar year. I guess that makes exact dates of some holidays hard to pin point. Eid-al-Adha is coming up, but nobody is able to give us an exact date. They say, around the 16th. This holiday is the feast of sacrifice. A large animal is slaughtered and the meat is divided three ways and given out to certain people. The origins and reasons for this vary depending on who you talk to or what you read. I do love the fact that one-third of the meat is given to the needy.
The Indian culture just celebrated the “Festival of Lights.” I have no idea what it is or what they do; other than last night it sounded like fireworks were going off all around us. I hope to ask one of the men Jim works with this week. He is taking me to work on my medical work and other things to get my visa, residency, etc.
Coming up is the “Hajj” I believe that is the correct word for pilgrimage. Muslims are expected to travel, at least once, to Mecca. This is coming up this month. I am told that people will get extra time off of work for this holiday. I believe that Jim will get an extra day off on his weekend.
Thanksgiving is an American holiday. Some of the American resort, hotels, and restraunts will serve a dinner.
Christmas and Easter are celebrated but only for the commercial benefits of it.
One of the most famous holidays that people have heard of in the Muslim culture is; Ramadan. This is based on the Night of Power. The night Muhammad had his first spiritual experience. It is celebrated in the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. It is a month of fasting and the Night of Power is greatly anticipated. I do not know when this night is or what is supposed to happen. I do know that all of these holidays are very important and do affect how quickly business is done. Jim was supposed to come back to Dubai after our July visit, to work on his visas and other documents. To complete just the basics would have taken at least two weeks due to Ramadan.
There are so many cultures and religions here that it will take time before I hear of all the holidays, and festivals. It is so amazing. I wish that I knew people to just pepper with questions about all of this stuff.
Our furniture is due in port on the 19th of November. It will have to go through customs and be searched before it will be delivered to our villa. If the furniture sits in port for more than four days, costs start to accrue. We are a bit concerned because that is about the time that people will be on their pilgrimage.
Some one wanted to know about driving in some of the countries around us. I think that in Saudi Arabia, driving is done on the right side of the road. I believe that Jim has been to the Weir plant, right over the border and he did not say anything about having to change what side of the road driving was done on. It may be different further into the peninsula. I think that Uzbekistan is also on the right side, as again, Jim has not said anything about it switching.
That is all for now.
Lisa

No comments:
Post a Comment